Our Church History
Jerusalem Baptist Church was organized in 1869 by Henry Harrison, who was a carriage driver for Major Coker. Henry Harrison was permitted by Major Coker to use a tract of land located on Snake Branch, which is the site of the old ice plant, (near East Carolina Avenue and the railroad track). This first group worshipped under a bush arbor. A log cabin was later built on that same site, and they worshipped there for many years. The location of the church was moved in 1898 to the present site, which is on the corner of Sixth Street and Laurens Avenue. Attorney T.H. Law deeded this land to the Trustees. A small church building was erected.
Construction of the present building began in August 1907 and was completed by the end of that year. Members of the building committee were J.S. Harrison, Shilo Fisher, W.M. Garner, and S.R. Jackson. Materials used to construct the building were purchased for $511.21. The completed structure was wood framed, painted white and had a $5,000.00 value. It was incorporated on March 26, 1908.
For over 150 years, Jerusalem Baptist Church has been a pillar in the community and committed to winning souls for Christ. It continues to be a beacon of light in the midst of uncertainty.